High Country Birds

Greetings,

The best birds of late are three immature white ibis at the intramural
fields beside the Boone Greenway Trail in Boone.  They were seen Sunday and
today.  Also I have been out looking for Golden-winged warblers for Cornell
and have found several, especially in Ashe County at several sites.  If
anyone knows of historical sites for Golden-wings in the Northwest corner of
the State (or anywhere for that matter) pleas let me know so we can survey
them.

While looking for golden-wings, I found some singing Savannah Sparrows and
good numbers of Grasshopper Sparrows in Ashe and Alleghany Counties.
Savannahs were most numerous in NE Alleghany along Glade Valley Road and
connectors.  You will have to know the song to pick them up for visual ID
though.

Also a Double-crested Cormorant is staying at Bass and Price Lakes for a
first summer record.
--
Curtis Smalling
Ecos of the Blue Ridge