Ohio family looking for birds in NC

We are going to be on the Outer Banks the week of July 4 and would like
some help identifying birding sites.  We are staying at Waves just south of
Pea Island NWR and are interested in learning about other sites on the
Outer Banks or possible day trips on the mainland.

Are there any "must see" spots on our routes in and out of North Carolina?
We will enter NC on the coast via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and then
throught Elizabeth City and Kitty Hawk.  We will go home driving west along
Rt. 64, I40, and at Winston-Salem go north to catch I77.

Can we answer any questions about birding around the western basin of Lake
Erie, NW Ohio, or Michigan?  Thanks.

Jeff and Becky, Bowling Green, Ohio
Brad, Bellevue, Ohio