Black-billed Cuckoo near Asheville

Esther and I were fortunate enough Saturday morning to hear a Black-billed
Cuckoo singing for a minute or two at our cabin west of Asheville.  This
was the rhythmic coo-coo-coo song that is, on the tapes at least, easily
distinguished from the song of the Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

We tried to get a look at the bird, but no luck.  It was well hidden in
foliage and then fell silent or flew off.

We've seen Black-billeds at this site a time or two over the years, but
always during fall migration.  If we hear this bird again, we'll do our
best to chase it down.

Len Pardue, Asheville, NC