Beginnings of "Autumn" Migration

For years, I've observed that one of the first species I see that is
definitely in southbound migration is the Glossy Ibis.  About mid to late
June, I'll occasionally see a small flock heading down the coast through the
Morehead-Beaufort area.  (I never see them flying N this time of year, and I
should add that there is not any good feeding habitat for Glossies in the
immediate Morehead-Beaufort area, so these flights don't represent local
feeding flights.  The most definitive evidence I have that these birds are
migrants is the one time I got to follow some in an airplane (someone else
was flying).  When we quit following them, they were 2-3 miles offshore and
still headed SW across the ocean.

Yesterday, I saw a flock of 7 southbound Glossies, heading SW over Beaufort
Inlet, NC.  First I've seen this year.  Some years I've seen birds as early
as mid-June, even before the solstice.  I have often wondered if these early
southbound birds were nonbreeders or unsuccessful breeders.  In any event,
to me they are one of the first signs of "autumn".

                                    John Fussell
                                    Morehead City, NC
                                    jfuss@bmd.clis.com