Bird Nests

I know of at least one bird that uses mud for his nest.  The Robins dominate
the area under my birdbath in the Spring taking beaksful of mud around the
base caused by the tiny overflow of the dripper I use in the birdbath. They
are constantly back and forth, which gives me the impression they use it for
their nest.

The small twigs on the outside reminds me of a mourning dove nest,
surrounded by small twigs, but with an overall unkempt look.  And you can
usually find all sorts of debris/castoffs along with the twigs, such as wool
threads cut into short pieces left out by some of us .

You didn't say how small or large it was.

My daughter, Heather, and I went to Charlotte this past weekend for a
wedding.  After the detour to see the Mississippi Kites in Laurinburg, and a
first unsuccessful attempt in Monroe at the flycatchers, my poor family in
Charlotte was about ready to call out the 'guard' because we were so late
arriving.  We found the flycatchers on our return home.  And for those going
to see these birds, I noticed some young red-tailed hawks recently fledged
over in the cover of the woods across the field screaming for attention.

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com