No de-listing on Bald Eagle yet

I suppose a lot of us anticipated the Federal government to make the big
announcement yesterday (July 4) that the Bald Eagle was officially
de-listed. However, such was not to be. Material on a website dated June
29, 2000 explained the hold-up in the de-listing. As you know, on July
4, 1999, the Bald Eagle was proposed for delisted from the Endangered
Species List.  However, a number of comments were received by the Fish
and Wildlife Service concerning the protection (or lack of protection)
of the habitat, nests, etc. of the eagles once delisting was concluded.
In fact, comments I wrote for the NC Natural Heritage Program expressed
this concern about protection of habitat and protection of nests and the
nest trees once de-listing took place.

According to the report:

" ' It's not going to happen in July', spokeswoman Cindy Hoffman said.
She said government lawyers are trying to figure out whether existing
federal law can be interpreted to protect the birds' habitat once the
bald eagle is taken off the endangered species list."

Thus, the Bald Eagle remains Federally listed as Threatened in the
eastern states, as least for a while.
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program