Missippippi Kites

    This morning , Rich Boyd and I went to Newport, NC to check out a
possible sighting of a Missippippi Kite.  What a delightful surprise it was
to find two adults soaring and feeding.  One bird returned to the same dead
tree several times and is easily seen with binoculars and scope.  This bird
called on several ocassions.  The second bird appeared slightly smaller and
was less frequently visible.  We hope there is a nest, although one was not
apparent from our vantage point.
    From hwy 70 bypass near Newport, going toward Morehead City, take a
right at the Food Lion onto 9 Foot Road. At the end turn right onto Lake
Road, drive about 1/8 mile past Slaughter Road where there is an old tobacco
barn on the right . Take the dirt road on the right beside the barn. A dead
tree is visible  on the right , just past 2 houses. This is where one bird
perches a lot.  They were seen flying over the woods all around this
vicinity.
Susan Arrington
sarrington@coastalnet.com