Possible early migrants at Crabtree Lake

     This morning (Saturday) about 8:30 a.m., my wife and I made a brief
stop at Crabtree Lake (the gate to the park was open).  The sky was still
gray and there was plenty of water on the grassy point at the first parking
area.  We saw some birds that one would expect (kildeer, kingfishers,
mourning doves, crow sp., cardinal) and two that I certainly did not
expect:  a spotted sandpiper and a whimbrel.  I walked part way out to the
point, despite the wet grass, to be certain that my id was correct.  I
don't know whether the whimbrel will stick around, but some of you in the
Triangle area might want to check.

Bob

Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu