First NC Rufous for the season!

Good morning!

The first Rufous Hummingbird of the season was reported yesterday from the
home of none other than NC birder Barbara Gearhart in Laurinburg (Scotland
Co)! I raced down this morning and we caught and banded him by 7 AM.  He is
a gorgeous, fiesty immature male who seemed quite capable of fending off
Ruby-throateds from 'his' feeder. He was very vocal, and as with the Anna's
in 1997, Barbara heard his odd call notes and thought he was something
different. Despite his aggressive behavior, this Rufous did not appear to
have much fat on him, so maybe he will stick around for awhile.  If not,
other southeastern hummer banders should certainly be on the lookout for
him.

Anyone interested in seeing this bird should give Barabara or hubby Bill a
call (910-277-0272).  They are happy to share him with other birders given
advanced notice.  Also, given his early arrival date, this Rufous may be a
transient and leave the area before long.

Just goes to show that interesting hummers can show up anywhere including
the yards of birders (just ask Wayne Irvin, Derb Carter, Judy Walker, Tom
Driscoll or Barbara herself)-- so keep your eyes peeled and your ears
perked!!

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net