E. C. Dove in Aiken, SC (and Common Ground Dove note)

Hi folks,

I had my first Eurasian Col. Dove at the intersection of Dougherty and
Whiskey Rds in Aiken, SC.

Last weekend I had a Common Ground Dove on Rt. 278, just north (1/4 mi.) of
the Barnwell Allendale County line, right on the road.

I also ran into my first mixed species foraging flock of migrants at Aiken
State Park. Though from the SRS fire towers I have observed lots of presumed
migrants (flocks of gnatcatchers, Parulas, a Northern Waterthrush etc.)
taking off to the south over the SRS. The SINGLE, COMPACT Aiken Park flock
was made up of things like:

14 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
6 Northern Parula
2 Worm-eating Warblers
2 Hooded Warblers
2 Yellow-throated Vireo
2 Red-eyed Vireo
1 White-eyed Vireo (w/out tail feathers... the first of 5 this week w/out
tail feathers)

...and Towhee, Cardinal, 3 spp of Woodpecker, 2 spp. of nuthatch, G-c Fly,
Peewee, Summer Tan, Titmice, Chickadees and R-t Hummers.

The Worm-eating Warbler was foraging 1 foot over the scratching towhees. It
would wait for something to be chased up, and would go after it. The number
of species and the way they moved strongly reminded me of birding in lowland
Peru and Bolivia, though in the tropics, the Worm-eatings are a dead-leaf
gleaner (almost purely).

Can't wait to get out on the water with m'new canoe.

Cheers
Paul Champlin
Aiken, SC
capito@hotmail.com