Re: Hummingbirds

Hello all,
When I went home from work yesterday, I found my hummingbird feeder had been
overtaken by bees - quite a few swarming around - and the feeder was almost
empty. I shooed them away, brought the feeder in, cleaned and refilled it, and
waited about an hour, then put it back up when I saw a hummer fly in looking
for it! However, the bees came back almost immediately and the hummer took
off.

Will the hummers scare the bees away when they (hummers) want to eat? Should I
take the feeder down for a longer period of time? A friend recommended putting
a plate of hummer food nearby for the bees, in the hopes they'd leave the
feeder alone.

Never having had success with hummers before, I'll be very disappointed if I
can't continue to enjoy them now that I have some. I look forward to hearing
some advice on how to handle this.

Thanks,

Carol Williamson
Durham, NC