Sooty Tern at Beaufort Inlet, NC

On 17 August, I saw a nice adult Sooty Tern in the tern-skimmer nesting
colony at Sand Dollar Island, in Beaufort Inlet, part of the Rachel Carson
Reserve.  It was there at least an hour.

success improved dramatically.  Some young are flying well now.  However,
there are about 24 young skimmers (and 6 Common Terns) still in the colony,
and most of these are borderline (can probably fly a little).  I hope that
they can do a lot of growing up in the next few days, now that tropics are
heating up.

                                                   John Fussell