Swallow-tailed Kite in Richland county, SC

A friend who lives in northern Richland county just off of Old Broad River
Road reported that he had a Swallow-tailed Kite circle over his house
several times on Saturday, August 19. The Kites are already migrating,
apparently.

Last night I had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo and an unidentified warbler fly
overhead.  I suspect the warbler was a Blue-winged from the relatively husky
pitch of the "zeeep".

While Gary Sowell, Nancy Lyman, Caroll Richard abnd I missed the American
Golden Plover and the Harrier at Orangeburg Super Sod Farms, we did find the
other birds Michael Bernard listed.  In addition we found quite a few Horned
Larks, the great majority of them immatures with indistinct breast bands and
white eyebrows.  The Horned Larks spent a bit of time standing in the road
and picking through grass clippings at the edge of the road.

Keep your eyes and ears open for migrants!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"