Red-headed Woodpecker movement, little else

At 10 AM, a Red-headed Woodpecker in my one big (dying oak) tree.  Usually
see one every few years in the springtime.  Gone by the time I got binocs
out.
If you are still watching those snags, I guess this is a nice bird, but not
so good as a certain flycatcher, locally.

Mixed flocks are hard to come by, here.

Not only am I in fields, and not only are there fewer warblers (both
observed and mistnetted) moving through than in the piedmont and the
immediate coast, but the several pairs of chickadees which nest out in the
open here are probably now hanging out with the big bad boys, the titmice,
in the woods nearby.
Chipping Sparrows seem more numerous, and getting almost flocked up with the
blueirds, which is our mixed flock, in the open, in the winter.  Pine
warblers are around in trees now, but they will be with the bluebirds and
chippers in the winter, feeding on the ground in fields.  I have long
wondered on what date these three species get together for the Christmas
Bird Counts.
Gnatcatchers seem to have dropped off in numbers, with the passage of the
cold front.

Still 2+ hummers regular at feeders, but hard to tell if some are migrants.
Soon should disappear.

Frank Enders, Halifax NC.  fkenders@hotmail.com