Mt. Pisgah, NC Hawkwatch -- 09/14/00

	WELCOME TO THE MOUNT PISGAH, NC HAWK WATCH REPORT -- FALL 2000

Today's Date:14 September 2000
Hours of coverage today: 1:30 -- 6  (4.5 hours)

Species		     Today     Year-to-date

Black Vulture..........0............0
Turkey Vulture.........0............0
Osprey.................1............4
Bald Eagle.............0............2
Northern Harrier.......0............0
Sharp-shinned H. ......0............2
Cooper's H. ...........1............4
Red-shouldered H. .....0............0
Broad-winged H. ......82..........131
Red-tailed H. .........0............4
American Kestrel ......0...........10
Merlin ................0............0
Peregrine Falcon ......0............0
unidentified raptors ..0............1
TOTALS................84..........158
	Note that only birds showing definite migratory movements are counted.
Many local raptors and vultures observed at the site are not mentioned
in this report.

Today's counts were made by: Jerry Echols, Greg Townsend, Bill Sanderson

	Today's weather was mostly sunny with light SE winds most of the day,
becoming WNW late.  Temp 72F.

	The outlook for tomorrow is fair to poor.  The clouds should pack in
this evening and not leave until the front passes, predicted to be
sometime Saturday.  Sunday and Monday, if the weather behaves as
predicted, will be ideal.
	Other migrants noted today included a good group of warblers that
swarmed the overlook about 5:30.  Included among the usual suspects were
Yellow-throated and Tennessee warblers.  No Monarchs were seen.  one
migrating Sulfur was spotted, and all the Tigers were traveling west.

	The watch site will be covered late Saturday morning, Saturday from 3
to 6, all day Sunday.  Also I will be there all day on Sept 21, 23, and
24.

Don't Forget "RAPTOR DAY", September 23, from 9am to 6pm at the hawk
watch.  Lots of birders, educational displays, and fun for kids too!

Reported By:
	Bill Sanderson, Site Compiler
	Asheville, NC
	nctigers@bellsouth.net
Site Description:
	The Mount Pisgah Hawk Watch, begun in 1995, is located at the Mills
River Valley overlook, mile 404.6 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  At an
elevation of 4085 feet, it is approx. three miles north of Mount Pisgah,
and approx. 11 miles south of the city of Asheville, NC.  The watch site
is staffed by volunteer counters on an irregular basis throughout the
fall migration season; most often on weekday afternoons and weekends,
weather permitting.  The site is handicapped friendly, and
gas/food/lodging are available at the Pisgah Inn complex, approx. three
miles south on the Parkway.  Visitors are always welcomed, and new
volunteer watchers are always needed.  Contact Bill Sanderson
(nctigers@bellsouth.net) for more information.

	The Mount Pisgah Hawk Watch is an unfunded volunteer effort.
All data obtained are submitted to the Hawk Migration Association of
North America (HMANA).  Other fall hawk watch sites in this region
include the Caesar's Head State Park Hawk Watch in upstate South
Carolina,
the Mahogany Rock Hawk Watch on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Sparta, NC
and the Pilot Mountain State Park Hawk Watch in Surry County, NC.

I am the Eagle, I live in high country,
	In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky.
I am the Hawk, and there's blood on my feathers
	But time is still turning, they soon will be dry.
All those who see me, and all who believe in me,
	Share in the freedom I feel when I fly!
				John Denver