Owl Id

Thanks to all who took a look at my photos.  When I saw this bird with  the
light face I thought Barn.  However, when I took a look at my field guides
I had a few doubts.  Anyway, 26 of you responded, with 20 voting Barred.
 Many of you noted how much it looked like Barn.  Three said the owl was a
juvenile, and two said it was a first year bird.  Here are some of comments
I received:

"The facial coloring my throw some people off, but they certainly can have
light faces".
"facial disk suggests Barn, but the back is too dark".
"It doesn't look like the field guide because it is a juvenile, hatched
this year".
"I'd call it a Barred Owl, althought the light look of the face makes it
look like a Barn Owl.  The downward swoop of feathers between the eyes and
bill of the Barred Owl are evident".
"your big bird looks pretty definitely to me to be a young Barred Owl (one
of this year's offspring); they can show a lot of white in the face/head
until they get a little older".

So, I believe this is a Barred Owl, very probably a first year bird.  Based
on the number of you who had little doubt, it seems to have been an easy
id. But it wasn't for me.  I'm glad I got that photo.  Thanks again. Very
educational.
William J. Warfel
Fayetteville