uncanny mimicry?!

  A 100-yd.stretch of BolinCreek Greenway behind Village Green Condos has
had nice mixed flocks lately (tanagers, cuckoos, warblers, vireos), and this
morning I got within 20 ft. of the resident Pileated W. as he intently
focussed on a dead snag oblivious to me.
  But the best moment came later when I heard a very odd tooting sound
unlike anything I’ve ever heard in the wild, and yet faintly familiar;
suddenly I realized it was the call of the Ivorybill W. I’ve heard on tape.
As I stood transfixed a tooting Blue Jay(of course) finally emerged through
the foliage, and though I've read accounts of Jays doing this Ivorybill call
it was still remarkable to experience firsthand....and of course the
unanswered question is:  where the hell does this expert mimic learn to
mimic this sound??!!  :-)

**Rob Gluck        Chapel Hill        thrush@hotmail.com