Daniel Stowe B.G., Gaston Cty

Late morning/early afternoon yesterday (Sunday) at the Daniel Stowe
Botanical Gardens yielded the following birds -- ( M(ale) and F(emale)
genders noted where identifiable):

Birds seen and heard:
American Goldfinch (M & F) in numbers
Eastern Bluebird (M & F) in numbers
Ruby-throated Hummers (M & F) in numbers
Coopers hawk (1)

The following "Honorary Birds" were also observed and studied:

E. Tiger Swallowtail (incl. dark morph)
Black Swallowtail
Red-spotted Purple
Red Admiral
Monarch
Painted Lady
Variegated Fritillary
Gulf Fritillary
Tawny Emperor
Cabbage White (F only)
Cloudless Suplhur (M only)
Sleepy Sulphur

The following Skippers were also ID'd among 8-9 total Skipper spp. seen:

Fiery Skipper (M & F)
Silver-spotted Skipper
Soutthern Cloudy Wing
Lace-winged Roadside Skipper
Leonard's Skipper

A bit later, nr Park Road Park in Charlotte, we encountered a bloom of 20+
very tame Hackberry Emperors feeding on fallen Persimmons.  Quite an
experience with them on our shirts, shoulders, hats, hands, etc.   Perhaps
the Persimmon-pulp has fermented.  <smile>  We sampled several, and fully
understood the tiny Emperors' delight.

My daughter Alex and I are fairly new to B-flying, but she is a budding
digital photographer and took MANY close-up photos which aided greatly in
the ID of the Skippers and some of the less familiar (to us) butterflies.
We used Glassberg's "B-flies thru Binoculars," as well as the Golden and
Peterson Guides as references, and had JUST A GLORIOUS DAY!

Birds seen and heard:
American Goldfinch (M & F) in numbers
Eastern Bluebird (M & F) in numbers
Ruby-throated Hummers (M & F) in numbers
Coopers hawk (1)

7;^)
Thom "Fortune's Fool" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC