butterfly question from a birder

One day last week in my back yard as I was going out to spend some time with
my dog, Faulkner, I looked down at some flowers and got a direct topside,
open-winged view of a large fritillary.  I imprinted its image in my mind for
about five  seconds before it flew away without stopping.  I came inside and
checked my butterfly book (Audubon) and the picture and written information
led me to the conclusion that it was a male Great Spangled Fritillary.  There
is a reasonable chance it may have been an Aphrodite, but the black pattern
on the upper wing surface was more like the Great Spangled.  I'm interested
to hear thoughts about it from the Lepidoptera folks out there.

Steve Patterson
Pickens, SC
SCBirder@aol.com