Donnelley WMA & Edisto Beach NAMC

posted with permission of the author, Sharon Brown

-- Donna Bailey

The following NAMC count was conducted Saturday by Mike Aldenderfer and
myself. First number is for Donnelley WMA and second number is for Edisto
Beach, South Carolina, both in Colleton County, South Carolina.

Brown Pelican 0,106
Anhinga 18,0
Great Blue Heron 9,0
Great Egret 12,8
Snowy Egret 4,0
Little Blue Heron 2,0
Tri-colored Heron 3,1
Black-crowned Night-Heron 0,1
White Ibis 40 (en route, in migration)
Wood Stork 1,0 plus 15 en route, in migration
Wood Duck 1,0
Black Vulture 8,0
Turkey Vulture 22,1
Osprey 1,0
Bald Eagle 7,2 (Donnelley: 5 adults, 2 subadults Edisto: 2 adults all
migrating)
Cooper's Hawk  1 en route (just over windshield level - wow!)
Red-shouldered Hawk 2,0
Red-tailed Hawk 1,0
American Kestrel 4,0
Merlin 0,6 (in migration, blasting directly over us)
Wild Turkey 2,0
Common Moorhen 2,0
Willet 0,3
Ruddy Turnstone 0,4
Sanderling 0,14
Semipalmated Sandpiper 0,1 (the sole remnant of thousands a week ago)
Laughing Gull 0,112
Ring-billed Gull 0,6
Herring Gull 0,4
Gull-billed Tern 0,8
Caspian Tern 2,8
Royal Tern 2,30
Sandwich Tern 0,3
Forster's Tern 0,3
Rock Dove 0,23
Eurasian Collared-Dove 0,19 (a big increase from 2 just 5 years ago)
Mourning Dove 6,6
Belted Kingfisher 2,1
Red-headed Woodpecker 2,0
Red-bellied Woodpecker 8,0
Downy Woodpecker 15,0
Hairy Woodpecker 1,0
Pileated Woodpecker 4,0
Eastern Wood-Pewee 4,0
Great Crested Flycatcher 4,0
Tree Swallow 44,0
Barn Swallow 2,0
Blue Jay 12,1
American Crow 33,0
Fish Crow 0,5
Crow, sp 10,0 plus 11 en route
Carolina Chickadee 38,0
Tufted Titmouse 31,0
White-breasted Nuthatch 14,0 (almost like a small fallout)
Brown-headed Nuthatch 1,0 (perhaps too windy to hear them)
Carolina Wren 10,1
House Wren 1,0
Marsh Wren 1,0 (again, perhaps too windy to hear them)
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher 4,1
Eastern Bluebird 10,0
Bicknell's Thrush 1,0 (see note below)
Swainson's Thrush 1,0
Grey Catbird 1,0 (where were all its friends & family?)
Northern Mockingbird 2,16
Brown Thrasher 1,3
Loggerhead Shrike 1,0
European Starling 3,26
White-eyed Vireo 15,0
Yellow-throated Vireo 4,0
Red-eyed Vireo 12,0 (the fewest I've seen anywhere in the past 2 weeks)
Golden-winged Warbler 1,0 (an adult female - what a treat for the eyes!)
Nashville Warbler 1,1 (an adult female, an adult male)
Northern Parula 12,0
Black-throated Blue Warbler 3,0
Pine Warbler 64,0
Palm Warbler 8,0
Black-and-White Warbler 4,0 (1 male, 1 female & 2 immatures together)
American Redstart 9,0
Northern Waterthrush 1,0
Common Yellowthroat 15,0
Summer Tanager 13,0
Scarlet Tanager 1,0 (a lovely male, still in red & black)
Northern Cardinal 18,1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1,0
Indigo Bunting 2,0
Eastern Towhee 14,0
Chipping Sparrow 12,0
Bobolink 143,0
Red-winged Blackbird 66,32 (low numbers of all blackbirds & no cowbirds?)
Boat-tailed Grackle 1,13
Common Grackle 4,0

Total individuals 1331
Total species 90

Species and individual numbers were both low. Many usually typical species
failed to show themselves. Edisto Beach was fairly crowded, as was the water
(with boaters and jet skis), which is making birding there progressively
more challenging as each year goes by.

We only counted 40 migratory warblers, as they came in fast-moving waves,
and many stayed up above the uppermost leaves. I'm mentioning this because
there's no "warbler sp." blank on the state form, and we know we missed at
least as many as we were able to identify and count. This is a "complaint"
that I make with a smile: too many warblers. :)

The highlight of the day was the singing Bicknell's Thrush, which went on
and on to our complete amazement and delight. I was thankful again to Lang
Elliott for his excellent recordings (on the Stokes CDs). Separation of the
bird (from Grey-cheeked) by song proved to be substantially easier than
separation by sight, so we were able to relax and enjoy it.

Sharon Brown
slbrown3@mindspring.com
Adams Run, SC

Donna S. Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina

	Coulmbia Audubon Society