Aiken Migrants and "reply' note

Hi folks,

First a note to those who have replied to my "skua99" e-mail account (Please
reply to capito@hotmail.com (not skua99):

A belated "thanks" for the helpful advise and birding locations (I'll write
you all indiv., soon). I only use my "skua99" account for subscription to
Carolinabirds, checking the recent postings at the internet site "Birding On
The Net". From now on, I will be sure to say, "reply to capito@hotmail.com"
in future e-mails.

Meanwhile, my better half and I were out for a nice walk at Hitchcock Woods
in Aiken, SC on Sunday. We were expecting the same old resident birds and
few to no migrants. About half way through our walk, I heard a familiar
"chip" overhead and stopped to see a huge flock of migrants, swirling in the
trees overhead. The chip was that of Chestnut-sided Warbler (of which there
were 5 mostly young males), B&W Warblers, B-t Greens (incl. an adult male),
Blackburnians (3 in plumages from young male to adult male), Redstarts (all
adult males), Wormeatings, Magnolias, Pines Red-eyed and Yellow-throated
Vireos, Gnatcatchers,  Scarlet Tanager etc. Two other flocks added more of
the same and Veery and 2 Swainsons Thrush (NO PARULAS NOR PRARIES FOR THE
DAY).

We ended up having to RUN after the flocks as they rapidly moved through the
canopy and midstory. It reminded me of Cape Cod birding in spring and fall
storms. Birds definitely ON THEIR WAY SOMEWHERE... held up by the impending
inclement weather. We all must remember... THEY ARE on their way! The
Blackburnians, Ceruleans etc. will be in the Andes in a few weeks. I've seen
Scarlet Tanager and Swainsons Thrush in Peruvian lowland forests.
Astounding! Reports of migrant fall out on the Florida Coast make my heart
sink, thinking of all those passerines forced into the ocean by too strong
of winds.

A heart-felt good luck to this year’s departing migrants. May Gordon be the
only bad storm this year.

Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC
capito@hotmail.com