Golf Course Birds

The recent postings concerning golf courses and their implications for
birding reminds me that we here in Brevard have failed to advise
Carolina Birds that our local golf course has been playing host to a
Great White Heron since mid July. As of this evening, the bird is stll
in residence along with one or two great egrets. The sighting, verified
by Simon Thompson,is apparently the first ever recorded in Western North
Carolina.

We were quite concerned about publicizing the sighting  for fear that
doing so would bring a rush of people to  a private golf course which
operates from morning to evening and cannot easily  offer public access
to its grounds during the summer season. Those of us who do have access
were fearful that any such pressure would jeopardize our privileges to
bird the course in the future.

The purpose of this posting is simply to make this sighting a matter of
record to the birding community at large.

Tom Joyce (tominbrevard@webtv.net)
PO Box 2542
Brevard, NC 28712