Duke Forest "Brewster's Warbler"!

Birders,

While birding the Shepherd Nature Trail in Duke Forest today, I
encountered Amelie (fellow Carolinabirdser) and her friend Laura.  (It
was nice to meet y'all).  After searching for quite a while, we finally
found a couple of nice flocks including the following highlights:

1  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
1  Swainson's Thrush
1  White-eyed Vireo
2  N. Parula
1  Magnolia Warbler
2  Blackburnian Warbler
4  Am. Redstart
1  Worm-eating Warbler
2  Scarlet Tanager

After birding together for a while, I needed to get home for dinner, so I
left them with a flock and hustled back toward the beginning of the
trail.  Just before the trailhead, some more warbler activity caught my
eye and I spotted a nice Blue-winged Warbler and my first NC "Brewster's
Warbler"!  I hope Laura & Amelie relocated these birds!  "Brewster's
Warbler" is the designation given to certain hybrids between Blue-winged
and Golden-winged Warblers.  This particular bird showed mostly white
underparts with a little yellow smudge in the upper breast area.  The
wings had a large gold patch (like an adult male Golden-winged), but the
head pattern was more like a Blue-winged.  Neat bird!

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Biology Dept. Box 90338
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278