Hummers AND Masked Booby on Outer banks

Hello All-

I have just returned from a 4 dya trip to the Buxton/ Hatteras area where I
planned to do some late season hummer banding as well as a little birding.
I had a very unexpected bonus to the trip.  This is, as you will see, a
very late post and for that I apologize, especially to the birders on the
Outer Banks.

The first morning (Wednesday) in Buxton I was interested in recent bird
sightings, especially in relation to the storm the day before.  Big
surprise-- an (probably THE) adult Masked Booby was reported by a local
fisherman/bird watcher on Tues. 9/19 at Hatteras Inlet.  It was noted on
the clipboard at the NPS Ranger Station near the lighthouse (anyone who
does not know abouty this clipboard for bird sightings, *take note*-- it is
in a white box at the edge of the parking lot; it is just as valuable to
local and visiting birders as is the one at Pea IS. NWR).  I immediately
went to check it out but did not find the bird.  I did find the fellow who
reported it and he gave me details.  His experience was like Keith's, short
but with the bird in very good view.  Fortunately he recognized that the
bird was different and then went to the trouble of posting it so others
would know.  I thanked him and did not think much more of it (knowing full
well how unlikely resightings of boobies are up this way, especially from
shore).

About five hours later I was perusing the hundreds of terns on The Point
and suddenly, boom! There in my scope was the booby!  An unexpected Lifer!!
I watched it for about five minutes, sitting with a bunch of
Black-backeds, apparently healthy and in full adult plumage.  It did fly up
a short way when the terns were spooked so I got a nice view of its black
flight feathers.  Then, after making some hasty phone calls to Pat Moore, I
looked up and the bird had vanished.  Naturally I felt pretty silly when
Marcia Lyons, Diane Andre, Pat and others showed up and the booby was no
where to be found.  I figured it was long gone back south to where ever it
came especially since the weather had really cleared from Tropical Storm
Gordon the two days before.  I guess that is why I did not rush to post it
on Carolinabirds (I did put my resighting on both clipboards though).  Jeff
Lewis duly chastized me for this on Thursday.  So, I was thrilled (and
somewaht relieved) that Pat and Keith saw it(?) again up at Oregon Inlet
yesterday.  Who knows where it has headed off to today.  Anyone out there
should definitely keep their eyes open for it in the sky or on the beach.
Fortunately, it is hard to miss if you are looking!

Once again-- you just never know what you may find on a trip to The Banks!

By the way, I banded a mere 6 Ruby-throated Hummers but saw at least eight
others. Most of the activity was along Flowers Ridge Road.  Catching birds
was a tough task since the weather is still summer-like out there. Flowers
are in full bloom and the bugs are plentiful (no surprise).  Interestingly,
only 3 of the 6 I got to look at up close had enough fat to appear to be
migrants.  And one of those was a handsome adult male.  I am really looking
forward to seeing who is around when I go back for Wings Over Water in
early November.  For those who are not aware, the Sargents will be at WOW
again this year doing a banding demo and conducting evening presentations
on their work as well as answering hummer-related questions.  Hopefully
there will be plenty of 'winter' birds around during the weekend for us to
study and band.

A report on my summer banding activities will be coming shortly.  At the
moment I am trying to wrap up the Ft. Bragg MAPS work.  Still have at least
three hummers here per day but it is pretty quiet-- despite the late season
salvias, cypress vine, etc. being in full bloom...

Best wishes to all,

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net