CARA being GUTTED!!!!

HEY FOLKS!!!  (please respond to capito@hotmail.com
[do not hit the reply button if you want me to read your response])

This is from the Georgia birdline (I took the liberty of looking up the
South Carolina house/senate info and substituted)...

Today is the day that all CARA supporters across the country need to rally
for all of the years of work that have gone into this landmark legislation!!
Please
pass this information to anyone who can help raise awareness in Washington
for CARA today.

A few links to CARA info are:

www.wilderness.org/newsroom/rally_030100.htm

http://www.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/cara.htm

http://www.senate.gov/~landrieu/issues/timeline.html

KEEP READING...

Detractors on both sides of the political aisle are working quickly behind
the scenes on substitutions to CARA that would diminish the integrity of
permanent,
comprehensive conservation funding, including funding for state level
wildlife conservation recreation and education. They're trying to create a
watered-down
version of CARA. These negotiations are moving very fast and it is
imperative that we stand firm in our efforts to achieve landmark
conservation funding legislation THAT INCLUDES WILDLIFE FUNDING.

Today has been designated as a Call-In and Fax Alert Day. Call these
Senators today! Use the attached fax form and let Washington know how much
support there
is for this legislation right now! Fill out the form and fax it to the
senators immediately after you make a call to them. This will give your
message twice the power of just one call. Visual reminders help keep Members
of Congress and their staffs focused on the issue at hand.

Below you will find contact info for our our legislators. Let them hear from
their constituents! We are getting down to the final days, and this may be
the most important effort that you can make to help bring CARA to a reality.

HOUSE:

Congressman James E. Clyburn
319 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Telephone (202) 225-3315 Fax (202) 225-2313

Congressman Lindsey Graham
1429 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-5301

Congressman Jim DeMint
507 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-6030

Congressman Mark Sanford
1233 Longworth H.O.B.
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202)225-3176

Congressman FLOYD D. SPENCE
2405 Rayburn Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4002
Telephone (202) 225-2452

Congressman John Spratt
1536 Longworth Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone 202-225-5501
Fax 202-225-0464

SENATE:

Senator Strom Thurmond
217 Russell Senate Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
(202) 224-5972
FAX: (202) 224-1300
senator@thurmond.

Senator Fritz Hollings
Washington, D.C.
125 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
(202)224-6121

Important points to make by phone or e-mail:

1. CARA reflects American values. Four out of five Americans, 5,000+
organizations, 50 Governors, 1,100 mayors, 315 representatives, 63+ senators
and one president support comprehensive conservation funding through CARA.
Follow America's lead and pass CARA now!

2. CARA is a program that returns conservation funds to states and local
communities: 80% of the money in the bill will be provided to states for
conservation and restoration projects that reflect local concern and needs.
This includes $350 million for state-level wildlife conservation, recreation
and education aimed at preventing species from becoming endangered.

3. CARA can't wait. Do not leave Washington this year without passing
legislation that would make timely investments in conservation that will pay
great dividends for future generations. Indeed, CARA addresses the concern
shared by 88 percent of the public that we must act now or we will lose many
special places, and if we wait, what is lost or destroyed cannot be
replaced.
We have already lost over 1,000 species on the federal endangered species
list

- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thanks in advance
Paul Champlin
capito@hotmail.com
New Ellenton, SC