Wake County Open Space bond issue: significant for the rest of us?

As I read the reports of a good variety of warblers in the piedmont and
higher up, I am quite envious.  Maybe I do not go into the woods enough to
find the warblers here, but, really, near Halifax we have a "depauperate"
warbler fauna, due to the migration patterns of many species of warblers.
Also, I began to wonder if Duke Forest and other "islands" of woodland in
the Triangle are getting better for birds because of your development, which
forces your migrants into ever smaller patches of habitat.  If you think
this is so, and want even easier birdfinding in years to come, read no more
(and cut down your trees and pave your lots in the Triangle).

Two days ago I heard a short presentation by Kim Douglass, the environmental
engineer who is program coordinator for "Working for Open Space in Wake
County".
Wake County has a bond referendum on November 7 for "up to $15 million in
general obligation bonds for acquiring environmentally significant lands to
protect water resources, wildlife habitats and natural areas suitable for
recreation.  No tax increase will be needed to repay these capital costs."

This clearly is a way to do what I asked for, in an earlier, to set land
aside for wildlife.

I do have two doubts:
(1) how much land can you buy in Wake County for $15 million?  At
$10,000/acre, only 1500 acres (only 3 sq. mi.).  And, at $50,000/acres, only
500 (less than a square mile).
[But, shouldn't about half of the county be in open land?  At 900 to 1600
square miles, that's 450 to 800 square miles needed.  Of course, land in the
far out parts of Wake County might go for only $2,000/acre, so this would
setaside 15 sq mi, 2-3% of the county.  And, conservation easements on
farmlands might cost less, maybe $1,000/acre, 4-6% of Wake County.]
(2) like the college bond issue, how can we really borrow money without
increasing taxes?

Even though I wonder if the bond issue is too small, I would vote for the
bonds, if I lived in Wake County.  Like most citizens, I would pay more
taxes for what I want.
I'm sure there are a lot of birders in Wake County, most of whom know more
about this bond issue than I do, many of them reading Carolinabirds, and
almost all of them intending to vote for the bonds.

But, how about the rest of the state?  My county government keeps saying it
is too poor to spend money.
But, land is so much cheaper here.  A dollar in time should save "nine" in
setaside costs in the future.  So also for the rest of the rural parts of
the Carolinas.  But, I guess we will be hard put to persuade our local
governments to make such good investments.  On the other hand, those who
hold open land will reap the benefits of their investment strategy, when the
governments finally decide to buy up open land, at the increased, future
price.

Again, I certainly do not have the last nor best word on this subject.
Perhaps the bond issue will pass, and perhaps it will inspire other local
governments.
How about those bond issues?

Frank Enders, Halifax NC.  fkenders@hotmail.com