1st Sapsucker of season :-(

  Heard a thud at my balcony window this afternoon and turned out to
be an unlucky (but gorgeous) Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, much to my amazement.
Seems quite early for them, but maybe the coming weekend cold front is
pushing some things along. (He was badly stunned, but looks like he may
survive ok now; a rehabber and/or vet seeing him tomorrow.)

  Also I stopped by Shepherd Trail today just to learn where it was and
there were police flyers up saying that car break-ins have been a problem
there -- are these flyers old or up just since birders started frequenting
the area, and have any posters experienced a problem?

**Rob Gluck     Chapel Hill, NC      thrush@hotmail.com