ID? Black-billed Cuckoo in Dorchester County,SC

Dear Cuckoo experts,

I think I saw one of my nemesis birds yesterday. Please help. I was
lost yesterday on Hwy 178 about 2 miles north of the intersection of 78
and 178 (not far from the Beidler Forest).  At about 1:00pm, in full
sun with low humidity, I saw a bird fly across in front of me in
typical Cuckoo fashion, flying from the trees on one side of the
Pine/Mixed woods to the other, at about tree-top height. The long,
narrow tail seemed to eliminate the Mourning Dove, and the rate of wing-
beat and general outline was Cuckoo-like. But then I noticed something
I had never seen before in my 1000's of Yellow-billed sightings: in the
excellent light, coming from directly above the bird, I saw no color
variation and definitely no rufous color on the dorsal wing surfaces.
It flew steadily and directly across the road. I also saw no white
tails spots on the dorsal surfaces. The whole sighting lasted only
about 2 seconds, as I followed the bird all the way as it disappeared
into the trees. Since I was late for a workshop, I was unable to stop
or try to relocate the bird.

I realise that Black-billed do move through in the Spring and Fall, but
I am hesitant to call this one without some verification, at least from
observors with experience with the species.

Thanks for your help,

Steve Compton
North Charleston,SC
Raven23302@aol.com