the new bird guides

Was in Barnes & Noble for about ten mnutes yesterday.  While there I checked
the two new bird guides that everyone is talking about.  Some brief first
imprssion notes:

Kaufman Of all the photo guides, this is definitely the best.  Yet they are
still           photos, retouched or not, less useful than paintings in my
opinion.  The           text page is quite busy graphically, but that could
be gotten used to               since the text faces the images!  This is the
first photo guide I will                recommend to the many folks who ask
me for help.

Sibley      Wow!  It's like a one-volume reference library for birds.  I
think the               vast array of images would be confusing to beginners,
but what a              buffet for experienced birders who already know their
way around the          taxonomy.  I can't wait to get my free one for being
a CBC compiler.  I          saw one apparent typo:  The species account for
Western Spindalis               uses this new name, but the heading at the
top of the page calls it by             the old name.

Steve Patterson
Pickens, SC