SRS and it's birds... and ecology

Hi folks,  (sorry for potential 2x post of this message)

See 2nd paragraph for SRS description.

Yesterday at the SRS I had 3 B-t Greens and my first Ovenbird since early
Aug. I also had 2 O-c Warblers, 20+ Swamp Sparrows (almost all adults) and a
good number of Song and White-thrtd Sparrows. I have yet to go back to the
large Carolina Bay where the Nelson's S-t Sparrows were. Turns out, they're
the first record for the SRS.

In earlier posts I neglected to mention that the SRS stands for the Savannah
River Site, a 310 square mile Dpt. of Energy site in southern SC, used since
1950 for cold war purposes, now in remediation and cleanup.

See this site for ecology and research at the SRS:

http://www.uga.edu/~srel/

The USDA Forest Service manages the natural resources of the site including
about 50,000ac of Red-cockaded Woodpecker proactive recovery forest
(managing habitat and inserting nest boxes etc) which is where I spend most
of my time as an RCW biological tech. There are about 100,000ac of
bottomland and 100,000ac of pineland with high age/structure variability. It
has a large number of Carolina Bays that reach upwards of 350ac. Several
"reservoirs" are present but are inaccessible. Overall an interesting place,
but not open to the general public for security reasons.

My posts from the site are more of a "Heads Up!!!" for people birding in
southern South Carolina and for those birders who also work on site (of
which there are several).

Paul Champlin
New Ellenton, SC
capito@hotmail.com