"the prarie" Latta Plantation 10/21/00 + a question

    Went to "the prarie" at Latta Plantation today, and found a few
interesting things. There was a flock of Golden Crowned Kinglets and
chickadees walking over there, following us down the trail. As soon as we got
to "the prarie", we were met with tons of Song Sparrows and White throated
Sparrows. After walking a while on the edge of the field, we were met with
the largest mixed species flock I have ever seen. They were all present in a
burnt area, quite interesting. It included:
Mourning Dove 12-15
Red Bellied Woodpecker-1
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker - 1
Eastern Phoebe  10-12
Blue Jay - 8
Carolina Wren - 2
Eastern Bluebird - 40
Yellow Rumped Warbler - 3
Pine Warbler - 2
Eastern Towhee - 2
Chipping Sparrow - 25
Song Sparrow - 6
White Throated Sparrow - 5
Northern Cardinal - 4
House Finch - 12
American Goldfinch - 10

Not the most interesting group of birds you will ever see, but it was
definitely one of the most entertaining.

Also, I have a question that I have never got around to asking. Has there
been a dip in the Blue Gray Gnatcatcher population? All summer I have not
seen one, and the summer before last, they were everywhere. Has anyone else
experienced this?

Alan Kneidel
Charlotte, NC