Dickcissel article

Morning all,
Thought this article might be of some interest to
some.
Cathy Green
N. Augusta, SC
catag57@yahoo.com

With its yellow breast and bold black markings, the
summertime
Dickcissel looks like a miniature meadowlark, at home
on a
prairie
fence post. In the fall, though, most of these birds
pull
up their
prairie roots and head for the tropics.

Dickcissels breed in loose colonies across the central

United States.
Come fall, the vast majority migrate south to Latin
America. In
Trinidad and Venezuela, where wintering flocks of
Dickcissels can
number 100,000 or more, local rice farmers become very

nervous.

While the great masses of Dickcissels move south,
small
numbers
wander east and find themselves not in South America
but
in Cape Cod
or on Long Island or the Delmarva Peninsula. In these
places they
usually associate with House Sparrows and sometimes
become
local
celebrities at bird feeding stations.

Look and listen for these wayward Dickcissels from now

into winter on
the East Coast. Although visually they can resemble
House
Sparrows in
the fall, Dickcissels are always more yellow. Their
distinctive burry
call will give them away. It's heard most often when
the
birds are in
flight.

Click here to learn more about the Dickcissel and to
hear
its call:
http://enature.com/news/newsletter_41.asp?link=3

=====
Cathy Green
N.Augusta,  SC
catag57@yahoo.com
If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put 'u' and
'i' closer together.