screech owl scrunching

For 10 out of 11 years we have lived in our house on Morris Creek in
Oriental, we have had Eastern Screech Owls nesting, most recently in a  Wood
Duck box overlooking the creek.  The Wood Duck box is very deep and our owls
perch in the hole and scrunch their bodies so all you see is the face but I
have caught glimpses of their feet.  One year I was able to observe three
owlets when they fledged and watched them climb through the marsh and onto
the branches of a tree where they all lined up waiting for mom and pop to
bring them some food. They did spend a lot of time in the afternoon hours
scrunching and sleeping and when it was time to leave the nest, I saw two
owlets sitting in the hole one day.  When the parents stop feeding, the
owlets get very anxious.
Liz Lathrop
Oriental, NC
harbinger@cconnect.net