Archilocus sp. Hummingbird in S.C.

C'birders:

I apologize for making a probable mis-identification error in my previous
posting, last week, on "LGJ's" in our yard, in the Irmo area of Columbia, SC,
close to the Lake Murray Dam.  The Ruby-throated Hummingbird I mentioned
should be Archilocus sp.!

The bird in question, call it Archie, was first noted on October 17
(8 days after the last sighting of a Ruby-throated H. at the feeder) coming
to Pineapple Salvia and Mexican Sage.  It was then observed at the hummer
feeder several times a day.  Although it was slightly buffy on the
flanks, I felt comfortable ruling out Selasphorus sp. and thought it
was just a late migrant fem. or imm. Ruby-throated passing through.  It
stayed around, and when I told Robin Carter about it during Sunday's Big Sit
(Oct. 22), he suggested I be sure it is not Black-chinned.  I had not
considered this, since I had heard just once before about a Black-chinned
Hummingbird in Columbia.  I have previously identified only male
Black-chinned's, out West--and this bird has no black chin at all.

I looked at his new Sibley guide and immediately noticed one listed
characteristic of Archie that I had observed immediately:  Archie
appears to have a long-bill, longer than usual for Ruby-throated.  I would
say it is close to 1.5 times the head width.

 Gary Phillips sent me a list of things to check (from Nancy Newfield) so
I have been doing that.  Perched at the feeder Archie's wings are about as
long as the tail, again favoring Black-chinned over Ruby-throated.  (This
was also noted in Sibley.)

I have not yet had a decent look at the tips of the outer primaries:
Lighting has been poor when it perched at the feeder or in the trees.
Similarly, it has been tough to call the color of the head compared to
the back.  I now have decent videos of it feeding on the Pineapple Salvia,
and the head does appear a bit grayer, but it is not convincing.  The
color of the back, the front, the head all seem to change depending on
the lighting and the angle.

I haven't found any source that says what vigorous "tail-pumping" is,
but this bird sure moves its tail rapidly foreward and backward when
it feeds while hovering!  It never holds its tail still when it feeds.
This seems to strongly favor Black-chinned.  (I didn't think to look for this
trait until I read what to look for.)

Another characteristic of Archie is that of being unusually aggressive compared
to other Hummingbirds I have seen here.  I grew up with Anna's Hummingbirds,
and they are aggressive, but I don't recall seeing them run off other birds
like Archie does.  Archie flew into the River Birch tree, nearly bare of
leaves (the one that attracted so many LGJ's), and flew at one of the
LGJ's (probably a Ruby-crowned Kinglet), settling on the spot the LGJ
abandoned.  Yesterday, Archie flew into the middle of the Live Oak near the
Salvia and chased away a Carolina Chickadee that was perched in there.
One day, Archie flew into the middle of the yard and confronted a N. Cardinal
that was perched on a Squirrel-Proof feeder!  I doubt Archie wanted to eat
any seed, so I don't know what that was about.

This aggressiveness is a point noted by Susan Campbell on this list (Jan. 22):
"behavior- it is definitely more aggressive than the RTHU and vocalizes a
good deal;  also it flicks its tail a lot when perched and while feeding
(although RTHUs will tail-flick or pump, they do not do so as constantly as
a BCHU)"
Indeed, this bird does vocalize often, and it is soft, but I cannot
tell that it differs from Ruby-throated.

To summarize, the behavior and tail-length indicate Archie is Black-chinned
rather than Ruby-throated.  I think my videos yesterday and today are
useful; without a telephoto lens, I don't think our still photos will
be much help.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, especially as far as what should
be done for Archie should it try to overwinter here.  It has been here
already over 10 days, so who knows?  The weather has been very stable,
however.  The Pineapple Salvia and Mexican Sage will only last until a hard
freeze.  I don't know what protection the bird could need in cold weather.

The current issue of The Chat gives me the last word (no kidding--check it
out); it also describes the care taken of the Calliope Hummingbird last
winter up in Greenville, SC.  I wonder if similar measures would be needed
here if the bird stays?

reference
http://losbird.org/los_news_188_99nov2.htm#7

Jerry Griggs    j@sc.edu