Outer Banks Week-end Birding

Paula, Brad Carlson and I spent the week-end leading an Outer Banks birding
trip for the North Carolina Nature Conservancy.  We saw about 90 species
without working too hard.  Highlights were:
Ross' Geese (2) feeding with a flock of about 200 Snow Geese by the side of
Hwy 12 at South Pond at Pea Island NWR;  a Peregrine Falcon dining on Common
Snipe at Cape Point; about 6 Lesser  Black-backed Gulls at Cape Point;
jaeger sp. while ocean-watching from the dune at the First Colony Inn at
Nags Head; Great Horned Owl (2) roosting in small cemetary by Hwy 12 in
Rodanthe.

We also took in the Red Wolf Howl at Alligator River NWR on Saturday night,
had great weather, and a great group of interested, eager birders.  We look
forward to the rest of the fall/winter NCNC Outer Banks birding trips!  And
to next week-ends "WINGS OVER WATER" birding festival down there.

John Wright
--
John and Paula Wright     h 252-756-5139

jwright@skantech.net      Greenville, North Carolina