Sparrow replacement therapy

Hi folks,

Sparrows at Craigs Pond (Savannah River Site, New Ellenton, SC) have changed
from Grasshopper Sparrows to Savies. There were about 100 Savannah Sparrows
in the 1/3 of the grassy bay I checked and there were still 5 Grasshoppers
and 1 Vesper. I had 2 sparrows that I did not get great looks at, but as
they flew from underfoot, they were greenish Ammodrams... Henslows? As I
tried to relocate them, they wouldn't re-jump. I ended up with 9 sparrow
species for the day with 12 flocks of 10+ (each) Chipping Sparrows. They
were all just on the side of the road, and were scared up by my driving by.
A search of 2 of these flocks produced solid Chippies. Several Juncos on
site.

NOTE: On Saturday night I found myself in several locations throughout Aiken
County. EVERY SINGLE (!!!) stop including the 3 stops we made in Aiken
center produced several "TSEET" notes of migrating sparrows overhead. The
next day we ended up with 12+ White-throats and a White-cr Sparrow and many
Cardinals in the yard. Cardinals have moved into the area in great numbers
in the lst 2 days.

Off to Puerto Rico for a month for Puerto Rican Parrot work for the US
Forest Service... should be fun. Catch yaz-all later.

Paul Champlin
please send reply to capito@hotmail.com