Hope Valley Mud Flats on Jordan Lake

Folks,

Today I ventured  down the power lines to the old RR trestle on Jordan Lake
with a friend. We were delighted by seeing at least 10 Juncos, our first
this season. We also counted in the mud flats 14 Snipe, 4 Lesser Yellowlegs
(one was much larger than the others but it called tu-tu like all the rest)
and 12 or so Killdeer. We didn`t carry a scope and could bet other
shorebirds might have been present. We also had a RC Kinglet come up and
chat with us from 5 foot away. Turkey Vultures and Common Grackles were in
large numbers as well.

The power line flowers were pretty much gone, but we did see 3 Pearl
Crescent, 2 Variegated Fritillary, 8-10 Common Buckeyes, one Monarch and
one Clouded Skipper. The biggest surprise was seeing a female Eastern
Pondhawk dragonfly, pretty late in the season for this species.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC

Randy Emmitt Photography
http://www.rlephoto.com