Eagles preying on birds

Seeing all the interesting posts about Bald Eagles prompts me to write
about two of my own experiences.

First story.  Several years ago I was driving on an expressway in Central
Oklahoma when I noticed a large flapping mass ahead that seemed to be
tumbling in the air.  At first I couldn't decide what the bird
was.  Suddenly the mass split into two as a duck flew to the left and a
subadult Bald Eagle flew to the right.  The eagle curved back around to
pursue the duck but I was not able to keep watching.  Something about
driving 70 mph and trying to stay on the road.........

Second story.  Two years ago at a lake in north central Oklahoma I watched
as a Bald Eagle repeatedly dropped close to the water then flew back up a
few feet.  Each time it dropped down, a small splash of water appeared
below the bird.  This went on for several minutes and I could not see what
the eagle was trying to do.  Finally, the bird landed on the water.  Yes, a
mature Bald Eagle sat on the water for a few moments like a big duck--
before it slowly and awkwardly flew to a nearby rocky dike.  The bird flew
just above the water, dragging something.  Once near the dike it dragged an
American Coot out of the water and proceeded to eat it.  The eagle was
apparently tiring the coot out by diving at it before it landed on it and
drowned it.

John Dole
Garner, NC
john_dole@ncsu.edu