black-backed gulls as predators

My husband and I have observed black backed gulls at
Pea Island Ponds preying on coots. On two separate
occasions we saw a blk back gull deliberately fly
toward a raft of coots that were near one of the small
grassy islands, basically "herding" them in the water
until they were pushed up against then island; then it
landed on one, killed it, and we watched it eat the
coot on the edge of the island. It was a mystery to us
as to why the coots did not fly, but they acted pretty
stupid and just panicked and all herded together in
front of the chasing gull.

linda

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward