UNC-Chapel Hill Field Trips

Hello Carolina Birders
The UNC-Chapel Hill Vertebrate Field Zoology course has been to the Outer
Banks and Lake Mattamuskeet for the past two weekends.
On our drive out we have seen a Mute swan with several Tundra swans at exit
487 on 64.  There is a pond on the south side of 64 where we spotted the
Mute Swan both weeks.
Last week we were lucky enough to see 5 Ross's geese along side the road at
Pea Island south of the visitors center.  This week however we did not see
the Ross's Geese and the Snow geese we did see spooked much more easily than
last week.
We combed through thousands of ducks over the two weekends looking for the
Fulvous Whistling ducks to no avail... however they were reported at the
vistors center on Tuesday the 13th.
We did spot several Redheads at the north end of North Pond.  Also we saw
310+ American Avocets at the south end of North Pond.
At Lake Matamuskeet last week, we did see the Black swan that has been
reported previously on the point near the lodge.  This week, in the rain, we
also saw a Canvasback from the same point.
If anyone is interested in anything in particular that we might have seen or
where we saw it... just let me know.
Thanks
Cindy Hogan