Re: Future CBC count report

Harry's right, folks.  Audubon's potential plan to make Christmas Bird Count
results available only online is a terrible, terrible idea!  The magazine
form (or hard copy) is valuable to the local compiler in ways that the online
version couldn't approach.  Like Harry, I would lose major interest in
Christmas Bird Counts if there is to be no convenient magazine to document
the results.  As it is, I spend many freetime hours studying the different
counts' results in the magazine and then interpreting the findings to the
participants of my CBC (Rocky River); that wouldn't happen with online count
results.  I have been a tremendous supporter of CBCs in SC and beyond, but
doing away with printed results would disenfranchise me in a hurry.

I also find it exceedingly arrogant of National Audubon to decree that
"Beginning with the 102nd Christmas Bird Count...all CBC data included in the
database must be received on line.  There will be no alternatives and no
exceptions."  Yes, I submit mine online already, but I sure don't need the
attitude.  Maybe it's time for me to spend my winter birding days doing
something a little more birder friendly.

Almost disgusted,

Steve Patterson
Pickens, SC
SCBirder@aol.com