Vagrant news, TV show, and last-second RFI

Hi Carolinabirders,

BIRDCHAT has an update on the Mango from yesterday, courtesy of Maryland
birder Tyler Bell. It's a bit more coherent than the sleep-deprived post
from Gary Phillips last night :-). There are still posts from points
north and south of people driving in to see the bird, so keep the updates
coming! No news yet today...

According to a friend and several posts on other lists, ABC's World News
Tonight had Kenn Kaufman and Dave Sibley on last night and talked about
their field guides and birding in general. Did anyone catch it?

In out-of-state news, a Snowy Owl was caught, believe it or not, in the
nets of a shrimp trawler offshore of Louisiana! This after one showed up
on Florida's Gulf coast last winter. I think the Carolinas are due!

But meanwhile, Frank and I are plotting to head out to Goldsboro to look
for the Vermilion Flycatcher. As long as we're making the two-hour-plus
drive to Goldsboro, I figure to look for some other birds as well if we
have time. I still have Eric Dean's directions saved somewhere to the
Wayne County water treatment plant where the Eared Grebes usually hang
out. Does anyone else know of worthwhile spots to look around for an
hour or so in that neighborhood, as long as we're heading that way? Frank
is especially hoping for Redhead and Vesper Sparrow. If nobody has any
better ideas, we might swing by Lakes Crabtree/Wheeler and vicinity on
our way home.

Thanks in advance; I'll check my e-mail around 11 or so tonight in case
anyone has any ideas!

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University