From:	Don A Hayes [SMTP:hayesda@wilkes.net]
Sent:	Thursday, November 30, 2000 2:13 PM
To:	'Johns Mark E'
Subject:	FW: Golden Eagle

For your information.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph H Mickey Jr [mailto:joemickey@SURRY.NET]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 8:26 AM
To: 'McGrath Chris'; 'Herman Dennis'; 'Cantrell Mark'
Cc: 'Don Hayes'
Subject: Golden Eagle

Not sure if anyone would want to know about this sighting, but while
traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway in Alleghany Co. yesterday, Don Hayes
spotted what we first thought was a large vulture sitting in a tree, but it
was much bigger than a vulture.  Upon further examination through my
telephoto lens, we concluded it was an immature golden eagle.  The location
was at Doughton Park just south of Alligator Back near marker 243. We first
saw it sitting in a tree and then soaring around 1115.  It apparently was
eating something because when it flew off it was carrying something.  On
our return back from Ashe Co. we saw the eagle again around 1430 soaring in
the same location.

Just thought someone might want to know about this sighting.  I for one
never thought I would see a golden eagle in NC.

Joe Mickey
283 Timberbrook Trail
State Road, NC 28676
336/527-1547
email: joemickey@surry.net

Environmentally "we will leave our record for anyone to see.  It will be
written on the land, in the rivers, and in the sky.  The people who care
will read it and they will know how well we did".  	Durward Allen