Wake Audubon bird walk

Howdy!

Today a group of 13 birders visited several Wake County sites described
in "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Triangle."  Anderson Point highlights:
gnatcatchers, bluebirds, swifts, Barred Owl, Hermit Thrush, a nice flock
of Cedar Waxwings, great looks for new birders at Red-eye and White-eyed
Vireos, and a Yellow-throated Warbler.

Most of you have read about John's Great Blue Heron nests at Greenview
Pond. It was a treat to see kids on the nests today. The Red-tailed Hawk
was also perched on it's nest. Blue-winged Teal are still hanging out. A
couple birders saw two Killdeer chicks crossing the road with their Mom
close by.

We found the Yellow-throated Vireo nest Steve wrote about earlier at
Hemlock Bluffs, a life bird for some. Also saw or heard Summer Tanager,
Hooded Warbler, La. Waterthrush, Parula, and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. A
nice spring day with about 40 species!

On a sad note, I wrote last week about my excitement of finding 4
chickadee eggs in our nest box. You may recall I said I heard my first
House Wren as I was writing the email and hoped he would stay away from
my chickadee. He didn't, I'm sad to say. I was heartbroken when I saw
nesting material hanging out of the box. I knew right away who was
responsible. All the eggs were gone from the nest, but I found one on
the ground under the box which had been punctured. I'm very attached to
chickadees, so I was very upset!!

Len, you asked how I was going to keep the House Wren away? I wasn't
able to, but after talking to a birding friend we wondered--does anyone
have an idea of a nest box that would attract chickadees but not House
Wrens? Is there something that can be done to make it harder for the
wren? I know they are the more aggressive of the two. Just a thought!
Let's just say I don't like hearing the House Wren singing in my yard!!!

I love birds, but there are some I don't especially like this time of
the year!!!

Happy spring birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh