shorebirds in Watauga Co.

Twitchers,

Not until talking to a guy at Merlefest yesterday, had I heard that in the
northern states birders are called "twitchers" and birding, "twitching".
Funny I thought.

A short walk down by a little private pond in the Castleford Area this
evening turned up some new migrants.  Lesser Yellowlegs were flying over,
with calls to make an id certain.  Also, spotted and solitary sandpipers
feeding amongst the sedges in the mudflats.  Got good looks at both and a
good chance to compare the bobbing of the solitary and the nodding/teetering
of the spotted.

This drought over the past while should mean more mud flats, so maybe we'll
all be seeing alot more inland shorebird migration action.

Jason Bulluck
Masters Candidate,
Appalachian State University, Biology
Boone, NC

Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living creatures,
but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life.    Edward
O. Wilson