Birdathons, etc

Howdy!

I predict there will be a lot of Birdathons in the next few weeks since
we are in the peak spring migration period. Wake Audubon Society's
Birdathon/Wildathon is May 19 and New Hope Audubon's is May 12. The
major reason for a Birdathon is to raise money for the environment. I
know birding awakened my eyes to the wonder of nature.

I'd love to hear about other Carolina Audubon groups participating in
their own Birdathons!!

Wake Audubon's money is going to support Audubon's NC Coastal Island
Sanctuaries, Project Bog Turtle, and Project Simus (Southern Hognose
Snake, etc.). Earlier this year, Walker Golder shared his inspirational
program with the Chapel Hill Bird Club on the twenty islands that
support more than 60,000 nesting seabirds and wading birds. Also, Jeff
Beane gave a great program for Wake Audubon, sharing his passion and
work with Bog Turtles and Southern Hognose Snakes.

The Birdathon is a great way to help protect important
bird and wildlife habitat. You're outside birding, which we like to do;
plus we raise money for the environment we love so much!

Speaking of being outside, do any of you have tips on how to survive
this allergy season? UGH!! Alternative methods are preferable. Of course
I want to be outdoors birding, but I sure am tired and miserable at the
end of the day.

Joshua reported on birds at the Triangle Land Conservancy's (TLC)
Johnston Mill Nature Preserve site yesterday.  TLC is having their
Spring Celebration at Johnston Mill May 5 from 1-4 pm. The public is
invited. Email me if you need directions.

Look forward to seeing some of you this weekend at the CBC meeting in
Southern Pines. Thanks in advance Susan, for  the work you are doing.
Happy birding!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh