Re: Where have all the kingbirds gone?

Kingbirds pass through the Carolinas is moderate numbers in early and
mid-May. Many that are seen on the fences and wires at this time are
headed north. Likewise, there is often a big influx, mostly near the
coast from mid-August into early September. Kingbirds are not really
common birds now, and they have declined noticeably as a breeder over
the last 30 years. Not sure if it habitat loss, pesticides, etc. (I
think the latter may play a part). They used to be seen more commonly in
summer on wires around fields. Now, in some areas, they avoid these
areas and occur mostly around lake and pond margins or even in
residential areas, away from croplands.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry LeGrand