house finch question

Hi,

I have a friend in downtown Columbia, SC who can see a House Finch nest from
her
third story office building.  The nest is in the top of a Palmetto tree
between the trunk and one of the cross hatched pieces of bark right below
the fronds.  Height wise it is right about at the top of the second story,
so you can look down into the nest from the third floor.  I have no idea how
high that is in feet, but it is pretty high.  The babies are very close to
fledging now.  Does anybody know if this a typical place for House finches
to nest or is it usually a tree with more branches than a palmetto.  There
are no branches and no other trees nearby, which seemingly makes fledging a
big challange.  The first step is a dousy.  If they don't get it right the
first time, they are going down.  My friend is quite worried about them.
But maybe that is how it always is and they will be fine.  Anybody know?

Thanks for any help.

Shannon