Dickcissels 101 hypothesis :-)

 I was reading about Dickcissels in my old "Encyclopedia of North American
Birds" by John Terres........

Some male Dickcissels can be polygynous.  And the female solely does the nest
building and incubation.  Incubation 12-13 days, young leave nest 7-9 days!

If it wasn't  a hawk or a car that got the Anilorac Farm Dickcissel:
Last year possibly 3 Dickcissels were seen at Anilorac Farm.  If there were 3
birds again this year, couldn't the male be nearby possibly with female
number 2??? And just singing from a spot that we're not used to .

Or... does the male stop singing at all during any part of the nesting period?

Also, I have decided just to go speak to Mr. Snipes, with a field guide, and
show him the nest and ask if he'd mow around it.  I'll mention raising money
through our bird club for the hay ONLY if he seems worried about the loss of
income.  Hopefully he'll be OK about marking off an area with survey tape or
little flags.  I also called back Triangle Land Conservancy and told them to
delay mailing him any info for a few months at least, might have been too
much all at once.....

I wasn't going to speak to him, thinking that the nest would be abandoned,
but since the female has been reported to be there still, I'll try to stop by
this week.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
North Chatham County, NC