Advancing wildlife

     I find it very fascinating (having a Geography major at UNC) reading
about wildlife advancing this way.  Will mentioned the armadillo in South
Carolina.  I remember an article several years back speculating about when
they might cross the Savannah River from Georgia into the Palmetto State.
Obviously, they have made it.   I wonder when the first one will appear in
NC.  In the Triangle, we have seen the first invasion columns of fire ants
plus the first incursions the last several years of alligators (Raleigh,
Vance County, Alamance County).  I predict in several years it will not be
uncommon finding a few in Jordan and Falls Lakes.  Looking down the road, I
have heard that Texas Browns (Tarantulas, that is!) have crossed the
Mississippi River.  They are heading this way!!! Another animal that has
spread its range rapidly is coyotes, now many being seen in this state.
     Now, if we could just get a report of a Bohemian Waxwing or Great Gray
Owl in NC!!!!

John Frederick
Durham, NC
Jchat99@aol.com